1GAM January – Teething Problems

Standard

I’m not gonna lie this first week has been pretty up and down. I started the week working on one idea, switched it up to something cooler (but ultimately too ambitious given my current programming skill level) and, monty phython-esque, eventually settled on something completely different.

Right now the game is essentially a clone of the classic Snake that I’m hoping to change up with come cool multiplayer mechanics and a nifty coat of paint. The idea was to start with something basic and work my way up; a practical game plan. Or so I thought…

It’s been longer than I realised since I last programmed something so more time than I probably want to has been spent just getting my brain to remember what the hell things are! I liken this feeling to when you would come back from summer holidays from high school and simple things such as spelling, how to form a sentence, or even your handwriting seem to have escaped you. Of course over time these return, but the initial shock to the system is an odd feeling.

At the moment I’m not insanely happy with where my progress is right now. That said, I can’t be too hard on myself given how poorly my week started, the fact that I have a cold and that I need to get back into the swing of programming. I suppose seeing the progress of others also involved and the always encroaching January 31st deadline has made me nervous. From now on I’ll do my best to take that nervous energy and use it to fuel my work.

Enough of this silly talk! What about the game dammit?!

Right now my goal is really just to get classic snake built; anything on top of that will be icing. Currently I’ve got the basic movement down, the snake growing with food and the food re-spawning randomly. I’m stuck at getting the tail to behave correctly; I’ve got them spawning and following the head but right angles are proving tricky. I think I’ve got all the logic there it’s now just a matter of translating it to working code (I worry it may mean revision of stuff I’ve got ticked off my list already though). Once I get the right angles working there are only a few, hopefully, little things I’ll need to iron out until the core stuff is there so I’m not too concerned at this stage.

Uber impressive as you can tell already

Uber impressive as you can tell already

As an aside I’ve become slightly obsessed with commenting and formatting my code now. Good commenting is something that I’m finally trying to do consistently and I can really see it helping my logic. Something I have found particularly useful is adding a region at the very top called ‘Script Goals’  where, as the name suggests, I write a list of what I want the script to do. Not only does this help keep things neat it is also a great way to keep me thinking logically and acts as a little reward once the script is done.

Dat Formatting

Dat Formatting

I’ll keep at it and report back sometime next week.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s