October came and went in a flash. I managed to find a little bit of time to put into Follow and this month I played around with another potential distraction technique; inverted colours.
Shaders are not something I have a lot of experience with so I had a look around for something I could get to work quickly. I decided on one shared via the unity forums (check it out here.) It’s very easy to implement and the creator has even included a few little tweaked versions.
I’m still looking at ways to better control the colours as some of the combinations aren’t quite harsh. As you can see from the shots above, I’ve been particularly interested by breaking up the intensity with some sort of pattern. The test ones above aren’t bad so I’ll experiment more with detail and shape.
‘Follow’ is finally playable! Check it out here.
It still needs work (music and sound noticeably) but it is satisfying to get something out into the world again. Hopefully I can get some valuable input around difficulty particularly to help fuel more progress before the year is out.
In a happy coincidence I believe this marks a significant blog post on my site as well.
Not much progress this month. I’ve been toying with methods of distraction, the first on my list being a voice. Check out the vid for the POC of the flow of things so far.
I’ve been tinkering with UI and menus but they aren’t nice enough for consumption yet and I think I’ve sorted how to publish via HTML builds. I might have something for others to play next month!
My, this year is disappearing quickly. July saw some more improvement with my project newly dubbed ‘Follow.’
The easiest change to notice is the colour scheme. I thought I’d change things up a little from the normal colours I gravitate toward. The darker shades help make it a little tricker and help make the background gradient a little subtler. The trail renderers on the circles are still being tweaked and may even be removed. I do like how they accentuate the curve of the circles’ movement; without them things felt a little more robotic.
Not much else to report. I’m hoping to change up my work life a little so fingers crossed that goes well. It should open up a few more hours for a dev dabble here and there – at the moment my days off are mostly set aside for bludging.
Whoops! I’m rather late getting this post together though I assure you I’ve made some more progress.
I was unhappy with how the line of circles looked and it limited how many I could fit nicely on screen. I’ve opted for a grid instead, which is looking much better.
Other little tweaks to game flow with some fading and such, as well as some changes colour and text wise.
I’m much happier with the game at the moment. Still don’t see it as anything to write home about but I’m enjoying myself which is the most important part!